18 Nov First Steps in a Personal Injury Claim
The time just after you have been injured in a slip and fall or accident can often be a confusing and stressful. First an foremost, look after your health. But when you are ready, you can begin thinking about pursuing a personal injury claim for your injuries. Here are some frequently asked questions about the first steps in a personal injury claim.
I was hurt in an accident. What should I do first?
As mentioned in the introduction, the first thing that you should always do after being injured in an accident to look after your health. However, if you have already done this, then there are a number of steps that you can take that will help preserve your right to file a claim for your personal injuries. These steps are valid in most situations and there is no “right” order to take (note: if you need to file a claim against the government or a government agency, there are other specific steps that should be taken).
- Collect evidence that can point to who caused the accident, as well as the damage caused by the accident. Photographs are useful here.
- Write down everything that has happened to you after the accident. This may include things like medical bills, hospital visits, any lost work or wages, etc.
- Be sure to get the names and contact information of any witnesses that may have observed the accident. Contact these people to confirm their contact information.
- If you speak to other people that were involved in the accident, be sure to take notes about your conversation.
- Tell anyone that you may file suit against that you are planning on filing a claim for your injuries and property damage.